Friday, March 2, 2012

Postscript: Scabiosa and Poussiere de lune


The problem with buying ink color based on color preference is that one might end up with many similar colors.  Given that purple is my weak point, I choose gingerly when I consider purchasing a shade of purple.  My first unofficial ink review was on Poussière de Lune, Dust of Moon, was a smoky purple.  One of the reasons why I did not purchase a full bottle was because it did not work well with normal paper.  After talking to Gentian about J. Herbin's ink in general, she generously offered and sent me two deluxe size of samples of Poussière.  While I was contemplating how I could put the samples to good use, GourmetPens suggested that I should do a comparison on Poussière and Scabiosa by Rohrer and Klingner. This brief review might be helpful to those who are interested in dusky purple.




To accentuate the shading, saturation, and colors of both inks, I use Brause Bandzug calligraphy nib in 2mm.  While writing each sample individually, I did not readily identify the difference until I stitched the two images side by side.  

Color
Scabiosa is a purple that has a tint of gray.  Because of its black-purple appearance, Scabiosa can be a great alternative to traditional jet black at work.  As the above picture shows, the purplish tint is more obvious in shading.  It is almost as dark as italian eggplant skin.  
Poussière is almost a darker mauve, that has more purple undertone.  This might sound odd, but it reminds me of the grape flavor cough syrup.  

Shading
In my writing sample, the shading is more obvious in Scabiosa, while Poussière remains uniform.  

Saturation
Compare to other J. Herbin ink, Poussière's saturation appears to be more intense.  When it is next to Scabiosa; however, it is still on the lighter side.

Bleedthrough
Both inks have no bleedthrough on premium paper (in this case Rhodia dotPad), even with a dip calligraphy pen.  Bleedthrough varies on normal printing paper.  Depending on the nib size, Poussière has a slight bleedthrough, while Scabiosa has none.

Feathering
J. Herbin is less consistent in this department, and the same applies to Poussière.  With fine/ mediu nibs and preminum paper, the ink performs fabulously.  When using dipping pens or pens with broader nibs, couples with normal paper, feathering effects might take place.  Scabiosa, on the other hand, works well with any paper with no feathering.

Water resistance
Though I did not perform a water resistance in this sample, Poussière has no water resistance.  Scabiosa, given it is an irongall, can withstand water better in comparison.

Drying time
Both ink dry quickly (around 3-5 seconds).

Lubrication
Because it is an irongall, Scabiosa is drier than many inks I have used.  In my experience, it is very selective when it comes to pens.  Experiment thus far indicates that Lamy works best with it.  Perhaps German ink is meant for German pen?
Similar to other J. Herbin inks I have utilized, Poussière flows just as nicely.

Price
Poussière $7-9/ 30ml
Scabiosa $12/ 50ml

Interested in more information about both inks?  Here are some links:

Scabiosa
Poussière de Lune

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this great post!
    Your experiences are quite similar to mine. The R & K Scabiosa, (and Salix as well) are very beautiful and have character and perform very well on just any kind of paper.
    Keep up the good work!
    Lennart

    http://wp.me/p1bUha-fg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by, Lennart! I am also glad that you enjoy the comparison. Scabiosa is my absolute staple nowadays. I am unsure whether I am unique in this experience, but in your experience, does Scabiosa selective on pens? So far, Scabiosa works better in German nibs than others.

    ReplyDelete