Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Fountain Pen Review: Stipula Passaporto Blue Sky

I came across both the brand and the pen at the DC Supershow last year.  Since it was my first time attending a fountain pen show, I was a bit overwhelmed by the surrounding and the ambiance. While walking aimlessly, a leaf logo caught my eyes that I could not identify.  Approaching the table, I saw this little bubbly fountain pen, probably the first time I ever described a fountain pen as bubbly.  

The particularly model, if I recall correctly, was a special edition produced for the Supershow (please correct me if I am wrong on this detail).  Though made with resin, it gives a subtle shimmery effect seen in underwater photography on school of fish.  This effect is more prominent against the light as you turn the barrel.  

Passaporto measure 8.5 cm when capped and 11.7 cm when posted, which is roughly 1.5-2 cm shorter than Kaweco IceSport, a mini pen in its own right. Though it does not have a clip, it does not roll as easily as Kaweco Liliput because of the slightly protruded leaf insignia on the broad band silver trim on the cap.  The length, combining with lightweight, makes Passaporto extremely portable (a product aptly named).  To post the pen, the cap needs to be screwed on with the thread at the end of the pen.  

Passaporto, capped and posted
The chubby body of Passaporto in a way reduces writing fatigue because it feels substantial in hand, but does not weight the hand down.  For those of you who prefer thinner barrel, it might take a little while to get used to.  Given it miniature size, the adjustment time should not be too long.

See the stripping?  I associate it with the ocean.
There is thread at the end for capping.
Extra shimmery under the light
Another great feature of Passaporto is that it can be easily disassembled, which makes it easy to clean.  It takes an international short cartridge, but if you notice the large capacity of the barrel, Passaporto is meant to be converted into an eyedropper. The conversion definitely augment the ink capacity, and can be aesthetically appealing in demonstrator models.  The reason why I decide not to convert it is that I am afraid with my luck, I will have a leaking or cracking accident while the pen sits in the pocket or purse.  I could be just paranoid, but it was the same reason that I did not convert the Kaweco IceSport.

See, using fountain pen is not as troublesome as people assume.

For a compact pen, Passaporto has a elongated and big nib.  The tines are not as spread out in a wider angle as Kaweco.  On the nib, no size is indicated, but from observing lines made by other fountain pen, I am tempted to say it is an European fine.  

Passaporto works right out of the box.  I did not recall doing anything prior to frantically filling the ink with excitement.  Besides some skidding when carriage is initially installed, the pen writes very smoothly.  There is no line variation, given that the stainless steel nib does not flex in anyway, which is expected.  

elongated and elegant. like Italian wine?
The details on the nib reflects Stipula's workmanship.

Passaporto writing sample
In my opinion, Passaporto is ideal for either both beginner fountain pen users and more seasoned users. It is not a fussy pen and requires little preparation work.  Not much to ask for when it writes right out of the box!  It can be a good experiment for those who is up for an eyedropper conversion, with o-ring and silicon grease.  Function aside, the pen is appealing to the eyes, even the demonstrator model.  


Just love the leaf insignia.. I wonder why it was not paired with an acorn..

Other delightful reviews:

For those who are interested in getting one:
Thanks to the Baker who generous lend me the pen for review!




2 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful pen! Thanks for the review! I wonder if it is still available and not sold exclusively during the pen show?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are looking for a passport (not in Blue Sky), you should be able to get them readily from the retailers I listed above. If Blue Sky has captured your heart, your best resource is probably EBay.

    ReplyDelete